Online training, e-learning, virtual classrooms, and other terms are becoming a new norm. In the landscape of education, there are limitless resources that are accessible to us and applicable to a variety of disciplines from technical to soft skills. Although there is a new light, none of this is new. As we operate and adjust to a world stricken by the challenges and changes brought on by the pandemic, in last month’s restoring success, A Cultural Shift, we considered some adjustments and speculate on what a new post pandemic world may look like. As an industry, we can embrace, adjust, and utilize training opportunities in new ways.
Children, college students, and adult learners have been nimble; educators have rose to the challenge to help others learn in new and innovative ways. For the first time, the IICRC has approved certain courses and certifications to be offered online via live streaming. The transfer of knowledge and experience to those that serve our industry’s training needs must rise and challenge the status quo in delivering education. Companies and the individuals can benefit from the value that training and education can bring to careers and company results. As with most things, there is not a crystal ball about the training landscape that may exist at any point in the future. However, we can easily speculate by understanding of ripple effect of the pandemic both culturally and economically. We can also look at trends, other industries, the rapidly evolving learning technology and the understanding of distance learning. As individuals and organizations, we can anticipate, seek opportunities, and shift so that we may best embrace the potential benefits of expanded online and virtual training opportunities.
All good and valuable things require effort and nurturing. Training is a tool and an investment that can be utilized to grow, develop and create opportunity. It does not necessarily define success but can help lead us to it. It has been a long-time hurdle to on-board those new to our industry and organizations in a way that is engaging, efficient and productive. Benefiting from on-line training opportunities starts with choosing engaging and valuable courses that meet your learning and possibly credentialing objectives. As well, our organizations’ cultures and individual’s desires for growth and self-development must be fostered to support training initiatives.
The following is a list of a few considerations in embracing on-line training for your Restoring Success:
Online training benefits: The are many benefits that when deliberately embraced can be fully enjoyed.
- Accessibility: We can access subject matter, skill training and development, educators and expertise, anywhere in the world at any time.
- Flexibility: In the 24/7 world of organized chaos, programs that offer flexibility can be very helpful. In addition, self-paced learning allows individuals to move through curriculum at a comfortable pace on an individual basis.
- Cost Savings: Some programs may present the opportunity to save.
Choosing Training Programs: Use the proper due diligence and thoughtfulness in selecting courses and programs. Consider specifically what you are looking for from your educational choices:
- Gain insight and understanding to a discipline
- Gain or develop a certain skill or competency (technical, soft, other)
- Consider the level: Fundamental, Intermediate, Advanced, etc.
- Practical Application
- Certification/Credential/Documentation of Competency
Company Tips: As an organization, training and career development can be proactively managed, celebrated and be a part of the culture.
- Be Deliberate: In the New Tech Under Your Wing, there are a variety of tips to help incorporate training and learning in your day to day operations. One of the most important that applies to in-person or on-line is to encourage field training and mentoring when applicable.
- Engage: Reward and celebrate learning and growth.
- Invest: Time, resources, and attention to the utilization of on-line training as a tool.
Individual Tips: There are a variety of resources available on-line to help individuals with being on-line and/or adult learners.
- Be an active and engaged learner
- Limit distractions
- Scheduled your courses and be as committed to your commitment as you would be with a live, in-person course.
The time is now to develop your company and individual training and education programs while enjoying all the benefits in the worldwide land of learning opportunities.
Best wishes for happy, safe, restoring success.