JP Korpi is a public adjuster and founder of K-Factor Advocates, located in Big Timber, Mont. Korpi and his staff of insurance industry professionals assist residential, commercial and agricultural property policyholders with structural and property damages of all sorts. They help with negotiations, insurance policies, technical language interpretation, claims estimating and more.
This has not always been the case, because Korpi started off as a contractor. He has many years of construction experience in residential and commercial structures with a keen understanding of rapid emergency mitigation services including board-ups, crime, trauma-scene and bio-hazard recovery. He has more than 15 years of experience in the construction and restoration industry, most recently as an owner and operator of a regional restoration company in Wisconsin and Minnesota, which he sold to neighboring colleagues before founding K-Factor Advocates.
In this episode of Ask the Expert, Korpi shares insights from the other side. He offers his perspective as a former restoration contractor, now adjuster, on how both parties can work together in the interest of policyholders.
This episode covers:
- Korpi’s objectives and responsibilities as owner and public adjuster at K-Factor Advocates
- The role of a public adjuster versus a claims adjuster or an independent adjuster
- How insurance companies view and treat Korpi and other public adjusters
- The meaning of #kickingthefoxoutofthehenhouse
- Why Korpi switched sides, from restoration contractor to insurance adjuster
- Korpi’s view of adjusters when he was a contractor and how it has changed now that he is an adjuster
- What Korpi has learned about adjusting that he wishes he knew as a restorer
- What Korpi has learned about property restoration through his adjusting experience
- Tips on how restoration contractors can ensure they get paid in full
- Tips for ensuring a smooth encounter between adjuster and restoration contractor
- Misconceptions Korpi has come to recognize
- How Korpi’s experience on the restoration side helps him as an adjuster
- Korpi’s most memorable project
- Notable ways Korpi has seen restoration and adjusting evolve over the last decade
Check out this episode of Ask the Expert to learn more. You can watch the video here or listen to the audio version of our conversation here. You can also find our show on Apple Podcasts and Spotify. Just search for Restoration & Remediation Ask the Expert, then hit Follow.