The U.S. Department of Labor has appointed 29 members to serve on the Advisory Committee on Apprenticeship, and provide advice and recommendations on issues related to registered apprenticeship. The advisory committee will also promote greater awareness of the benefits of apprenticeship, foster increased alignment between apprenticeship opportunities and workforce and education systems, expand apprenticeship into new industries and occupations and ensure equity for under-represented populations.
“The Advisory Committee on Apprenticeship represents the combined expertise of leaders across industry and workforce sectors,” said Secretary of Labor Marty Walsh. “Their collective voices will inspire innovative apprenticeship and training strategies to boost our economy and build an equitable workforce by delivering a system that is better to aligned with the needs of historically marginalized communities.”
Secretary Walsh appointed Bunker Hill Community College President Dr. Pam Eddinger to serve as the committee’s chairperson.
“Apprenticeships are a proven learn-while-you-earn method for equipping workers with the skills and knowledge they need to compete and succeed in a growing economy,” said Dr. Eddinger. “Working with Secretary Walsh and the members of the Advisory Committee on Apprenticeship, we can amplify the merits of registered apprenticeships and highlight how they can strengthen our nation’s workforce and ensure that under-represented populations share in our country’s prosperity.”
Members of the committee serve two-year terms, representing employers, labor management organizations, community colleges and other institutions. Representatives from the U.S. departments of Commerce, Education, Energy, Transportation, Housing and Urban Development and Health and Human Services serve as ex officio members.
President Biden announced the relaunch of the Advisory Committee on Apprenticeship in February 2021 and the department began seeking nominations in May 2021.
The first meeting of the committee will convene virtually on Oct. 6. Meetings are open to the public.
The list of individuals appointed to the Advisory Committee on Apprenticeship is as follows.
- Bunker Hill Community College President Dr. Pam Eddinger
- Wireless Industry Association: President and CEO Jonathan S. Adelstein
- Intertech Plastics: CEO Noel D. Ginsburg
- Computer Technology Industry Association: Vice President, Strategic Workforce Relationships Amy Kardel
- Manufacturing Institute: Executive Director Carolyn Holmes Lee
- National Electrical Contractors Association: CEO T. David Long
- IBM: Senior Vice President, Transformation and Culture Obed D. Louissaint
- American Hotel & Lodging Foundation: President and CEO Rosanna Maietta
- The Hartford: Senior Vice President, Claims Karmela Malone
- Independent Electrical Contractors: Assistant Director Timothy Oberg
- Prisma Health: Director, Talent & Workforce Development Valerie S. Richardson
- United Association of Journeymen and Apprentices of the Plumbing and Pipe Fitting Industry of the U.S., Canada: Assistant Director, Education and Training Raymond W. Boyd
- Service Employees International Union: Executive Director, Healthcare Career Advancement Program Daniel Bustillo
- Amalgamated Transit Union AFL-CIO/CLC: International President John A. Costa
- American Federation of State County and Municipal Employees District 1199J: Executive Director, Training and Development Fund Stephanie Harris-Kuiper
- Carpenters International Training Fund: Retired Executive Director William K. Irwin Jr.
- Ironworkers International General Organizer and Director, Diversity Vicki L. O’Leary
- International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers: Director, Occupation, Safety & Health and Apprenticeship Michael C. Oathout
- Laborers’ International Union of North America: Assistant Director, Training Bernadette Oliveira-Rivera
- International Union of Painters and Allied Trades: Executive Director, International Finishing Trades Institute Anton P. Ruesing
- Electrical Training ALLIANCE: Executive Director Todd W. Stafford
- American Association of Community Colleges: President and CEO Walter G. Bumphus
- Jobs with Justice Fund: Research Director Erin E. Johansson
- Wisconsin Department of Workforce Development: Apprenticeship Director Joshua Johnson
- Donna Lenhoff Associates: Principal Donna Lenhoff
- Tennessee State University, Smart Global Technology Innovation Center: Associate Vice President Robbie Melton
- National Urban League: Vice President of Workforce Development Traci R. Scott
- San Francisco Office of Economic & Workforce Development: Senior Workforce Development Specialist Orrian Willis
- Early Care and Education Pathways to Success: Executive Director Randi Beth Wolfe