IICRC: Raising the Bar
In mid-April, the IICRC held its Spring Certification Council and Board of Directors meetings in Nashville. IICRC Chairman Tony Wheelwright addressed the Council meeting regarding his 2014 theme for the Institute, “Raising the Bar,” and praised the audience for their hard work in making the IICRC such a valuable organization.
The meeting was held in conjunction with the National Wood Floor Association’s (NWFA) Wood Flooring Expo that took place April 16-19. This was the first time the IICRC has held a Board meeting in conjunction with an MoU partner show. The next IICRC Certification Council and Board of Directors meetings will be held in conjunction with the Shareholders Meeting October 17-20, 2014, in Vancouver, Wash.
Technical Journal Releases Third Issue
The third issue of the IICRC’s technical journal, The Journal of Cleaning, Restoration & Inspection (The Journal), will be hitting mailboxes later this month. The issue features four articles to help you better understand the art and science of hard-surface cleaning, textile cleaning, disaster restoration and inspection. Articles in this issue include:
- “The Impact of Cleaning and Maintenance on Commercial Flooring Lifecycle Costs” - Richard Bodo, Director of Training, Karcher of North America, will utilize data gathered over 20 years to compare the cost and lifecycle impact of proactive versus reactive maintenance practices on hard-surface and textile flooring in commercial facilities.
- “Studies Document Impact of Carpet on Indoor Air Quality Before and After Cleaning” - Dr. Bruce Mitchell, Chairman/CEO is Airmid Healthgroup Ltd, will present the data and methodology used in a series of studies his firm recently completed. The studies compared the allergen and microbial load in the air over carpet and other flooring types both before and after cleaning.
- “Hard-Surface Flooring Maintenance and Inspection” - Claudia Lezell, IICRC Standards Hard Surface Division Vice Chair, will examine the impact of various maintenance practices from a flooring inspector’s perspective.
- “MOUs: What They Are and Why They Are Important” - IICRC President Patrick Winters explains what MOUs are and why they are important to industries that are building the foundations of technical knowledge.
As a peer-reviewed technical journal, The Journal is the first and only publication of its kind in the cleaning, restoration and inspection industries. It is published six times per year.
IICRC Standards Updates:
- IICRC Re-accredited by ANSI: IICRC submitted revised Standards procedures to ANSI in early 2014, and has received re-accreditation as an ANSI approved Standards Developing Organization.
- S500 Public Review Update: The S500 Standard and Reference Guide for Professional Water Damage Restoration will be available for a limited 30-day public review period sometime in early June. Details will be posted online, and in the next IICRC newsletter.
IICRCA Elects Board
The IICRCA has recently elected is Board of Directors and Board Officers. Election results are as follows: Scott Armour; Carl Grimes; Craig Jasper, Joseph Kowalski; Brett Miller, Patrick Moffett; Darrell Paulson; Jeremy Reets; Jack A. White; Cliff Zlotnik; Jim Pearson, Secretary; Bruce Vance, Treasurer; John (Sonny) Bass, Vice President; Tony Wheelwright, Vice Chairman; and Bryan O’Haleck, Chairman.