Fourth Edition of ANSI/IICRC S500 Officially Published
The newly-revised standard and reference guide for professional water damage restoration now available
November 17, 2015
The Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC) announces the publication of a newly-revised ANSI-approved ANSI/IICRC S500 Standard and Reference Guide for Professional Water Damage Restoration (4th edition, 2015).
ANSI/IICRC S500 provides a specific set of practical standards for water damage restoration. It does not provide comprehensive water damage restoration procedures; rather, it outlines the foundation for basic principles of proper restoration practices. ANSI/IICRC S500 does not include exhaustive performance characteristics or standards for the manufacture or installation of structural components, materials and contents (personal property).
According to S500 Chairman Mickey Lee, the primary revisions made to the Standard and Reference Guide since the 2006 edition was published, include the following:
- Redefined the classes of water intrusion to offer a more objective means of estimating the evaporation load in a building, basing it on amount of affected materials to be dried rather than by vague descriptions.
- Restructured the inspections and structural restoration chapters to flow generally in the order a restorer would perform the activities on a typical water intrusion project, making them more usable and easier to follow.
- Consolidated information and recommended guidance on various materials which previously was scattered in three chapters (i.e. Building Science, Inspections, Structural Restoration) and placed them into a more user-friendly Table of Materials and Assemblies.
- Provided a rationale for airmover placement based on amount of wet, affected surfaces that is applicable to all classes of water intrusions.
- Strengthened the third-party references in the building science, microbiology, psychrometrics and drying technology chapters to reflect third party research and enhance their credibility.
"We couldn't be more excited to have the latest release of our flagship document out,” said IICRC Standards Chairman Howard Wolf. “The improvements in readability and usability really made the new S500 worth the wait. Further, the new S500 improves clarity in several areas, including class of water intrusion."
To purchase a copy of the new ANSI/IICRC S500: 2015 and other standards, visit http://webstore.iicrc.org.