Mayme Wong returned to her Fishers townhome after running errands on a frosty afternoon last month to discover her garage door open and water pouring out.

"I got really upset because the master bedroom is above the garage," Wong said. "I went to the bedroom and the whole carpet was soaked."

A pipe in Wong's bathroom expanded and burst because of the freezing temperatures. The water seeped through her bedroom floor and through the garage ceiling, triggering the automatic door opener.

Paul Henderson, of Paul Henderson Plumbing, said a combination of freezing temperatures and high winds often lead to pipes bursting. Henderson recommends homeowners know where their house's shutoff valve is so they can cut the water supply in an emergency. The next step is to contact a qualified, licensed and insured plumber to fix the break and find the cause. From IndyStar.com