A major advocate for ALS research and fighting for a cure, Venture Construction Group of Florida (VCGFL) is proud to be the Premier 2021 Statewide Partner of the ALS Association Florida Chapter to raise funds and awareness. May is ALS Awareness Month.

The ALS Association launched its “Every Moment Matters” campaign to highlight important milestones and the moments that people in the ALS community cherish.

Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) is a progressive neurodegenerative disease that affects nerve cells in the brain and spinal cord. The disease was identified in 1869 by the French neurologist, Jean-Martin Charcot, and in 1939, after ending the career of one of baseball’s most beloved players, Lou Gehrig, it became more widely known internationally. ALS is commonly referred to as Lou Gehrig’s Disease.

“The fight to defeat ALS is near and dear to my heart. I lost my father, Marty Shanton, to this disease. He was a fighter and fierce advocate for remaining positive throughout his journey with ALS. He always said that attitude determines altitude! We’re dedicated to supporting ALS research and finding a cure,” said Stephen Shanton, CEO and president of Venture Construction Group of Florida (VCGFL).

According to the ALS Association, over 5,000 new cases are diagnosed every year. It’s estimated that 30,000 people in the U.S. live with the disease. Most people who develop ALS are between the ages of 40 and 70, with an average age of 55 at the time of diagnosis. ALS is 20 percent more common in men than in women. However, with increasing age, the incidence of ALS is more equal between men and women. Recent studies show that military veterans are twice as likely to develop ALS. Every 90 minutes, someone is diagnosed with the disease and someone passes away from it. About 90 percent of ALS cases occur without family history, which is known as sporadic ALS. The remaining 10 percent of ALS cases are inherited through a mutated gene, which is known as familial ALS. Learn more or donate online at http://www.alsafl.org.

“The programs and services The ALS Association Florida Chapter provides wouldn’t be possible without philanthropic leaders like Venture Construction Group of Florida. They make it possible for us to make a difference in the lives of hundreds of families in Florida every single day,” said Ray Carson, president, ALS Association Florida Chapter.

VCGFL is an award-winning construction and restoration company committed to giving back and supports numerous ALS organizations and programs each year. Venture kicked off their annual statewide sponsorship earlier this year. Events include the Central Florida Walk to Defeat ALS in Orlando on March 20; the Broward Walk to Defeat ALS in Davie on April 10; the Jacksonville Walk to Defeat ALS on April 17; the Sarasota Walk to Defeat ALS on April 24; the Greater Tampa Bay Walk to Defeat ALS on May 1; the ALS Ring of Honor Golf Classic in St.

Augustine on May 10; the Southwest Walk to Defeat ALS on May 15; the Tampa Bay CEO Soak on May 21. VCGFL is proud to sponsor upcoming events including the Orlando CEO Soak on June 24, the South Florida CEO Soak in Dania Beach on August 26. Fall events include the Ice Bucket Bash Gala & Live Auction in Tampa on October 2, the Hope and Health Symposium, Ride to Defeat ALS, and more Walk to Defeat ALS events throughout the state. Further details to be determined. Learn more, donate, or get involved at https://www.als.org/florida.