Mold remediation is never an easy process, especially for the home owner. This is especially true when occupants have been diagnosed with mycotoxins in their body, the toxic byproduct of mold. As the name implies, they are toxin molecules that are smaller than the mold spore and lighter weight so are even more easily transferred throughout the air easily absorbed through our skin and inhaled into our lungs.
Understanding the nature of mycotoxins produced by mature mold colonies, we realize that just removing the mold may not be enough. Our company has consulted on many cases where mold clearance tests all passes, a great accomplishment but the environmental mycotoxin test was still positive. As a contractor you were hired to remove mold…you did that. But the mold byproduct is still present. Now what? Because ultimately the client wants to no longer be exposed to mycotoxins so they can start the detoxing process for their body and ultimately feel better.
The fact is mycotoxins are such a small vapor molecule that it can be more difficult to rid a structure. The time has come that new techniques and detailed cleaning procedures needed to be employed in these sensitive occupant cases. When dealing with mold & mycotoxins inside a structure, everything needs cleaned! Yes everything from the air to the walls, blinds, furniture (top, sides and bottom), even the inside of drawers and drawer cabinets. This is especially true when dealing with occupants that may have immune issues or been diagnosed with high levels of mycotoxins in their system.
All dust particulate needs removed through using microfiber cloths and HEPA vacuuming. This includes all the classic sit-a-rounds, books, papers. Even detailed items sitting around and pulling our drawers, cleaning hidden cavities. Employing such detailed cleaning as using a small brush to clean details in wood furniture to remove all dust particulate where mycotoxin land.
Cleaning also includes having the ducts cleaned as well. Mold spores are microscopic and much like a dandelion fully seeded, these mold spores will float around and land on everything and will continue thriving as long as there is moisture or even with just high humidity. In addition, producing their byproduct, mycotoxins.
Naturally as you clean some of the spores & mycotoxin will be released into the air so cleaning the air as you go is vital. That includes treatment of the air the entire time you are cleaning. But how do we remove a .1 micron size mycotoxin molecule? Hepa filtration is only required to remove 99.97% of particles of .3 microns or larger. Not small enough. Air scrubbers remove airborne particles down to .3 micron. Still not small enough.
In addition to the active removal of all dust particulate, we find that newer fogging products like MoldToxinKlear by US Enzyme to be effective to ensure mycotoxin removal utilizing their 360 degree turntable and fogger set on low settings. The 360 motion can give uniform coverage and treatment to address floating mold spores and mycotoxin. We strongly recommend this application process along with and during the cleaning of all surfaces. It has been successfully used and proven in the field by professional remediation firms for over 10 years.