The Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC) announces the publication of a newly-revised, ANSI- approved ANSI/IICRC S800 Standard for Professional Inspection of Textile Floor Coverings (2nd edition, 2023).
This standard describes the procedures, methods, and systems to be followed when inspecting synthetic and natural textile floor coverings and related products (e.g., carpets and cushions). Professional textile floor covering inspection consists of processes and procedures that are described in this Standard.
This Standard does not specifically address the protocols and procedures for installing or cleaning textile floor coverings.
This Standard cover the following in order to determine appropriate procedures for inspecting textile floor coverings:
- The Professional Carpet Inspector
- Commissioning Parties
- Writing Inspection Reports
- Inspection Tools, Equipment, and Materials
- Inspection Photography
- Chain of Custody, Storage, and Handling
- Field Testing
- Laboratory Testing
- Types of Complaints: Manufacturing Defects
- Types of Complaints: Product Performance Issues
- Types of Complaints: Installation Issues
- Types of Complaints: Shading
- Types of Complaints: Soiling and Spots
- Types of Complaints: Stains, Discolorations, and Yellowing
- Types of Complaints: Fading and Photo Bleaching
- Types of Complaints: Issues Specific to Woven Textiles
- Types of Complaints: Issues Specific to Carpet Cushion
- Limitations, Complexities, Complications, and Conflicts
Mark Violand, IICRC S800 Consensus Body Chairman, said: “After six years of painstaking discussions and almost rewriting the entire Standard, the 2nd edition of the ANSI/IICRC S800 Standard for Professional Inspection of Textile Floorcovering is completed. This standard is a valuable tool for all flooring inspectors, seasoned or novice, and others in the industry to use to help diagnose issues with textile floorcoverings. The S800 Consensus Body comprised of the best and brightest carpet inspectors and flooring professionals in the country. It took countless hours and dedication of the entire Consensus Body, and the textile floorcovering industry thanks them for that.”
Brandon Burton, IICRC Standards Chairman said: “This update represents a critical step to ensure the industry accepted Standard of Care reflects what is current and prudent in the field of Professional Inspection of Textile Floor Coverings. I commend Mr. Violand and the current IICRC S800 Consensus Body on the countless hours and effort they have volunteered to this revision, and to their ongoing commitment to our industry and its stakeholders.”
To purchase a copy of the new ANSI/IICRC S800: 2023 and other standards, visit https://iicrc.org/s800/. IICRC standards are also available via the IICRC Standards Subscription website at https://iicrc.gilmoreglobal.com/en. For more information on other certification programs and standards offered by IICRC, visit www.iicrc.org.